The Municipal Committee of Education has the following competencies:
1. Makes recommendations to the Mayor and the City Council related to the organization and operation of schools of Primary and Secondary Education, the allocation of funds to cover the operational costs of schools, to establish new, shut down or merge schools. Moreover, it is responsible for monitoring the construction, repair and maintenance of school buildings. It also monitors the tasks carried out by the Primary and Seconday Education Municipal Committees.
2. Submits proposals to the Mayor and the City Council regarding School buildings that are no longer used for housing public schools.
3. Offers consultation to the Mayor and the City Council concerning the co-location of public schools , the exclusive use of certain areas by each school, the use of common areas and the operating hours of each co-located school.
4. Compiles, based on the recommendations of the Primary and Secondary Education Municipal Committees, a proposal to the Mayor and the City Council on the level of expenditure required to cover the schools’ operational costs. 5. Provides consultation to the Mayor and the City Council on matters relating to the administration or management of the Primary and Secondary Education Municipal Committees.
6. Offers to the Mayor and the competent bodies of the municipality recommendations regarding the execution of Lifelong Learning Programmes, under the relevant national and regional planning, according to National Law Nr. 3879 / 2010 (Official Journal of the Greek Government Nr. A163) “Development of Lifelong Learning and other provisions “, as applicable.
7. Submits proposals to the Mayor and the competent bodies of the Municipality regarding the exploitation of the municipal real estate for the construction of school buidings, the designation of specific land areas suitable for the construction of schools, the expropriation of land for constructions needs, the errection of school buildings, the lease of realty for housing public schools.
8. Recommends to the Mayor and the competent bodies of the Municipality the allocation of school buildings for non-educational purposes and for hosting events of common interest, including the organization of concerts and other cultural events for students.
9. Consults the Mayor and the competent bodies of the Municipality with respect to student transportation issues, including the transfer of students attending special education, as well as the transportation and catering of students attending music and artistic high schools.
10. Provides recomendation and suggestion to the Municipal Authority regarding the improvement of the supervision and control of the Parents Association.
11. Consults the competent bodies of the Municipality on issues relating to sanctions imposed, under the current legal provisions, to parents and guardians who do not enroll their children in school and who do not provide for regular class attendance, paragraph 26 of Article 94 Law 3852 / 2010.
Operational Planning & E-Governance